Homecoming spirit shows with mums and garters

Caroline Attmore

As Homecoming approaches, students are beginning to purchase mums and garters. Mums can be ordered from The Mum Shop in Plano.

Sarayu Bongale, Staff Reporter

As Homecoming week approaches, the bustling of mums and garters are a familiar sound in the hallways. The last day to order mums is Friday and can be picked up at The Mum Shop located in Plano on Sept. 14 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“A mum is a flower with ribbons and strings and different decorations that you wear on your neck and a garter is similar but you wear it on your arm,” sophomore Medha Anasuri said. “It’s a way of showing that you care for that person and want to take them to homecoming.”

Students have different reasons for purchasing mums or garters.

“Me and my friend thought it would be fun to buy mums for ourselves and wear them around school,” sophomore Melisa Gulver said.

However, the cost of mums is playing a part in whether students are choosing to purchase these homecoming accessories.

“I’m actually buying a mum for someone else, and it’s so expensive but, I think it’s a great gesture to show that I care about this person,” Anasuri said.

Mums and garters boost homecoming energy and school spirit.

“I’m actually really excited to wear a mum this year,” Gulver said. “It really showcases my school spirit and it’d be cool to be a part of this tradition.”