Rhea of Sunshine: choosing a college

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, Wingspan staff reporter Rhea Advani provides her take on a variety of topics.

Rhea Advani, Staff Reporter

So before writing this, I was quite hesitant because this topic might only be applicable or interesting to seniors. However, after talking to some peers who aren’t seniors, I realized that this subject should be talked about no matter what grade.

When choosing colleges, we often name “reach” colleges when we’re young. As one gets older and more wise, usually the options for colleges narrow down to more reasonable, achievable colleges for ourselves. I don’t necessarily mean if you are able to get in or not, but also picking colleges that are most affordable and close to home. 

Parents play a big role in this. Now that my eyes have opened and I’m exploring the college application process more and more, I’ve realized that the reason students don’t explore options outside of their comfort zone is because of the pressure that parents put on them. 

Yes, it is obvious that college is expensive and there are benefits to staying in state because of lower tuition fees, however, that shouldn’t be the reason you pick a certain college. Additionally, parents want their kids to stay close to home. They often leave their kids no choice but to attend a college that is close to them. 

I think that it is completely normal for kids to go away from their parents. College is where you learn who you are and gives you the opportunity to be independent, away from your parents. Yes, feeling home sick is a factor, but it’s completely normal.

All in all, when applying for colleges, make sure you exhaust every option before making a decision. You must think for yourself, not others.