Racoons overpower the Redhawks

JHelmick Photography

The football team headed into district play on Friday, playing Frisco and losing 63-7. Although the team did not get the results they hope for, spirits are still high.

Addyson Schick, Assistant Sports Editor

Playing their first district District 6-5A Division I game against the Frisco Racoons on Friday, the Redhawks did not start district play how they wanted losing 63-7. 

“Obviously, it was not the result we were after,” head football coach Matt Swinnea said. “We really didn’t give ourselves a chance. Anytime you have five turnovers and give up 24 points to an opponent’s defense and special teams, you’re putting yourself in a precarious position.”

Throwing a touchdown pass in the last minute of the game, sophomore quarterback Jacob Nickell is proud to have helped the team get points on the board.

It feels good knowing that I went out there and did my best to help the team,” Nickell said. “I knew we were going out there to try our best to put points up, and coach gave me the right play at the right time and good things happened.”

With seven district games still remaining, Coach Swinnea is still optimistic about the Redhawks future.

“This defeat doesn’t define how our season will go,” he said. “Last year we lost to Frisco as well, but yet managed to tie for the district championship. This is a long season, we just have to respond by going back to work, practice better, and focus on the next opponent Heritage.”