Time for this Texas tradition to wither away

Caroline Attmore

Rin Ryu brings provides a take on mums and garters. The Texas tradition is something Ryu would like to disappear.

Rin Ryu, Managing Editor

Despite living in Texas my entire life, I only realized last year that mums were a strictly Texan Homecoming tradition. The fact that mums are a unique tradition doesn’t surprise me though. Texans are infamous for their extreme pride for Texas. From pledging allegiance to Texas to turning waffles into the shape of Texas, it’s clear that Texans adore their state. 

For me, mums and garters are the traditions that take the cake for being the most outrageous.

A mum is a somewhat awkward arrangement of ribbons, bells, and trinkets sewn together and worn around girls’ necks. The garter is the male counterpart to a mum and is usually accessorized in the same inelegant manner as mums.

Sure, I understand the desire to want to display school spirit, but don’t you think it’s a little absurd to be paying hundreds of dollars for a mountain of ribbons and feathers sewn together? To top it all off, most girls buy a new mum every year. What’s the reasoning behind spending hundreds on a giant one-time-use necklace? 

Every year, I always dread the Friday of homecoming week. On Friday, students get to wear their impractically sized accessories during school. It’s not just because I think they are impractical, but the jingling of bells and the flashing lights are enough to make me dread a Friday. 

Sadly there is nothing I can do to abolish this tradition, so instead, I will be sporting earplugs and sunglasses Friday because, unfortunately for me, it looks like this tradition isn’t going anywhere.