Drop window for advanced classes opens Friday

Lucas Barr

The new year brings new classes for some Redhawks, as students who were enrolled in single-semester classes last fall transition into their spring courses. The change brings new teachers, new content to cover, and new classmates for many.

Sarayu Bongale, Staff Reporter

The quarterly window for dropping Advanced or Advanced Placement classes has arrived. The Advanced/AP Drop Form will be open for students Friday and will close promptly on Sept. 22 at 4:30 p.m. 

For students like sophomore Sabrina Morlock, the extensive workload that comes with Advanced and AP classes can be overwhelming.

“I felt that I was really behind overall in the class and wasn’t sure if I would be able to keep up,” Morlock said. “The work effect needed in that class is a lot and I don’t think I am able to put in all the effort.”

After having conversations with parents, teachers, and counselors, many students are figuring the best course of action for them and their future.

“I’ve talked with my parents about dropping out of this class and they agree,” freshman Shreya Narayan said. “If I’m not able to perform well in a class then I should switch to something easier. I just don’t want to take the chance to sacrifice my grade.”

Resources are available for students who are unsure whether they want to drop a class.

“We encourage students to talk to their current teacher, parent and counselor if they need help deciding,” counselor Lanae Rainey said. “For students unsure about a class, talk to your current advanced or AP teacher.  They are the content experts and can give you the best insight on the course and how you are doing as a student.”

Overall, teachers are encouraging students to keep trying in their advanced and AP classes.

“For any AP or advanced class, you have another opportunity at the end of the semester, so give it a little time,” humanities teacher Sarah Wiseman said. “Think about what classes you enjoy and less about where this class will get you in your career.”