FAFSA applications now open for seniors

Amelia Jáuregui

Seniors are required to fill out FAFSA applications, which give out loans or grants to students to pay for college if they are eligible. FAFSA applications are now open, and will remain open until Jan. 15, 2023.

Aarya Oswal, Assistant Interactive Media Editor

Applying for college is one thing, but being able to pay for it is another thing. However, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid is now available for the 2023-2024 academic year for anyone applying to an undergraduate/graduate school. 

This new application comes with changes to the form, the most notable change being that there will only be 36 questions, as opposed to 108 previously. Additionally, students can now check if they are eligible for a Pell Grant, something not offered before.

With this new form, there will also be an “income protection allowance” for both the students and parents which will protect a percentage of a student/parent’s income from being counted towards FAFSA when the government decides how much the family will be paying towards college.

Students in Texas are required by law to complete and submit a FAFSA form or to submit a signed opt-out form in order to walk the stage to graduate. Learn more about FAFSA on their website to ensure the process of completing the form goes as smoothly as possible.