AP Drawing turns ordinary actions into unique art pieces

AP Drawing has been tasked with drawing their day to day routines to connect human behaviors and art. The new experience will pave the way for students to have more independence over their art projects.

Faith Brocke, Staff Reporter

Life is known to imitate art, and lately AP Drawing has taken it upon themselves to emphasize the connection between human behaviors and how that translates to artistic mediums.  

The young artists have been tasked with drawing upon their own experiences and consistent routines to construct a tangible work of art.

“This is the second of our two guided assignments that are essentially getting the AP drawing kids used to the artistic process: drawing class, coming up with ideas,” teacher Emily Delarios said. “Students are coming up with an idea that shows ordinary behavior, something that they do in their daily life and consider ordinary, and trying to elevate that into a work of art.”

Students have to adapt to combining both the simplicity of everyday life and the beauty of art, which is a new experience for many, on top of the transition to more free range and creative freedoms with art projects in the classroom.

“I don’t normally draw real life stuff,” senior Silver Pearl said. “It’s a little bit of a learning curve. I’ve tried thinking back to what I already know, but it helps me grow because it makes me think in a different way.”

Due to the nature of the assignment, students are encouraged to expand upon a normal experience, though the uniqueness of those behaviors may vary from person to person.

“I decided to choose a behavior that is normal to me, which is eating cereal at midnight after a performance,” junior Shriya Vedula said. “It’s interesting because everyone does daily activities differently. I’m in color guard, so tossing and stuff is normal for me and my friends, but that’s not normal for everyone. It’s cool to see the differences in both art and ordinary behaviors, but it’s also beautiful.”