HOSA holds blood drive Monday

Erika Pernis

HOSA is holding a blood drive in partnership with Carter Blood Care Monday from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Students who donate will receive two service hours, a t-shirt, and a graduation cord if you donate twice in one year.

Erika Pernis, Editor-In-Chief

Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) is hosting its annual blood drive in partnership with Carter Blood Care Monday from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Students who donate will receive two service hours, a t-shirt, and a graduation cord if you donate twice in one year.

Since blood is such a necessity, HOSA uses the drive in order to donate blood to local communities in need of it.

“HOSA holds the blood drive to make a difference for our local hospital,” HOSA president senior Amish Bhatnagar said. “Blood is one of the most frequently used resources with over 5 million patients in need of a blood transfusion annually. By holding a blood drive at school we make an immediate impact on the people around us. By donating only once you save 3 lives in need of blood.”

For HOSA secretary senior Joseph Jung, it’s an opportunity for students to be able to make a meaningful impact on the patients in need.

“Blood drive is a unique opportunity for our HOSA chapter to be directly involved in serving the community around us,” Jung said. “Every day there are patients who are in pain and unable to receive the necessary treatment because of lack of blood supply: blood drives, especially ones at schools, help remedy that. as each blood donation will help around three patients.”

HOSA hopes to exceed turnout from previous drives.

“Our basic goal is to have around 40 adequate donations, but we hope to exceed our last year’s record and reach above 75 donations,” Jung said.

Beyond just service hours or a cord, Bhatnagar hopes students get the satisfaction of impacting their communities through donating blood.

“Students should donate because blood is the easiest way any one of us can make a difference in our communities,” Bhatnagar said.