Featured Athlete: Jacy Abii

Provided by Jacy Abii

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 11/17 is varsity basketball player freshman Jacy Abii.

Wingspan: When did you start playing basketball?

Abii: “I started playing basketball about as soon as I turned three years old.”

Wingspan: Why did you start playing basketball?

Abii: “I began playing because my entire family played and I have two older brothers that played, also I’m really competitive so I didn’t let them get the work in alone of course.”

I began playing because my entire family played and I have two older brothers that played, also I’m really competitive so I didn’t let them get the work in alone of course,

— freshman basketball player Jacy Abii

Wingspan: Who is your biggest inspiration?

Abii: “My biggest inspo could be JuJu Watkins, she’s a senior that’s already gotten NIL deals and is goated at basketball, then my mom of course for obvious reasons.”

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about basketball?

Abii: “My favorite part about basketball is the speed and how easily it can change, also using features like athleticism that I was blessed with as an advantage to score and defend. But I also love making other people better and seeing others succeed in the sport.”

Wingspan: What is the most difficult part about basketball?

Abii: “I would say the most difficult part about basketball is when you start playing with an entirely new group of people, as a leader it puts you in a very difficult situation as to learning how to help everyone else. The changes can be as little as where someone prefers catching the ball and it’s those type of things that can throw you off.”

Wingspan: What are you aiming for this season?

Abii: “This season I am aiming to learn a new type of basketball that can help me decide where I will want to continue my future, along the way I expect state chips and broken records.”

Wingspan: How has basketball shaped you as a person?

Abii: “Basketball has shaped me in interesting ways, the passion for it makes me automatically competitive at everything I do, which has its pros and cons. For example, I am super competitive about grade’s which is awesome but sometimes I get competitive at little things for no reason.”

Wingspan: Do you plan on continuing basketball after graduating high school?

Abii: “My after high school plan is almost completely centered around basketball, collegiate and pro ball. But don’t worry, I have a plan just in case.”