Rhea of Sunshine: make school days shorter

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, Wingspan staff reporter Rhea Advani provides her take on a variety of topics.

Rhea Advani, Staff Reporter

After the recent pandemic, most assignments, quizzes, and tests have been moved to online. Students are required to have a chromebook or laptop on them at all times. If they don’t, the school offers every student the opportunity to borrow one for the school year. 

Seeing as mostly everything has been moved online, why can’t the school day be shorter? If students know what they need to do, why can’t each class be half an hour rather than an hour and a half? When teachers see students, they can introduce the topic and explain directions to students and then they can go home and complete everything on their own time. This way school would only last about two hours and everyone would get so much more time to do things they actually want to do.

Not only this, but when students complete their work in class, everyone is on their phones or doing something that’s non-school related. There’s no point in keeping students for a long class period when they finish their work fast and have nothing to do after. It would be beneficial in many ways if class periods were shortened and students got to go home early.