Wrestling sees improvement on the mat

Competing in the Rumble at The Rock on Friday and Saturday, the wrestling teams saw improvement placing the highest out of the district teams at the tournament. Their results against tough competition give them motivation heading further into the season.

Haley Ward, Sports Editor

The boys’ and girls’ wrestling teams competed in the Rumble at The Rock Friday and Saturday in Rockwall, where they placed the highest out of the district teams at the tournament. 

“Our guys and girls wrestled very well,” co-head coach Arman Mansouri said. “We beat several tough opponents and we had three girls place at the tournament. This tournament was very competitive with the number one, 5A and 6A team present. There were several mistakes made that we will address going forward. There were also a ton of things that we did well that we will continue to reinforce.”

The girls saw improvement on the mat with junior Taylor Clapp placing fifth for the girls, along with Mercede Alvarez placing 2nd, and Sofia Castillo placing 6th.

“The girls did ok, we weren’t at our best, but we did well for how difficult of a tournament it was,” Clapp said. “With the majority 6A state athletes, we were going up against pretty tough competition. Over all we placed 14th out of 27 schools, and out ranked all of the schools in Frisco. Our freshmen did pretty well, all won at least a match, if not more.”