Redhawks wrestling soars at their dual meet

Shreyas Viswanathan

Four Redhawks wrestlers, seniors James Ethan Harris and William Redden, and juniors Mercede Alvarez and Taylor Clapp head to the UIL 5A state meet on Friday and Saturday at the Berry Center. They are hoping to claim state championships and show the teams what they are capable of.

Haley Ward, Sports Editor

Wrestling hit the mat on Wednesday with the boys’ earning a 57-15 win against Lebanon Trail but losing 40-32 to Centennial, and the girls’ winning both duals. 

“We performed very well last night as a whole. For the boys, Centennial was as tough as we thought they would be and at the end we gave ourselves a chance,” wrestling coach Justin Koons said. “Unfortunately a couple of matches didn’t go our way and we left a few bonus points out there but the kids battled hard all night.”

Although the girls’ team is small, they won both of their matches going 12-0.

“The girls dominated last night winning both duals,” Koons said. “More impressively the only points given up were forfeits with all girls going 12-0 in their matches not losing one. Numbers wise we’re outnumbered. Six girls for twelve spots while other teams are bringing ten to fifteen makes it an uphill battle, but the girls responded and earned two wins as a team.”

For sophomore Sophia Castillo, the girls have seen major improvement on the mat.

“The team did pretty good, we were all locked in and ready to go,” Castillo said. “Our girls definitely did much better than the guys but we are definitely getting a lot better.”