Wrestling teams fought to top finishes at the War Games

Shreyas Viswanathan

The wrestling teams faced late season challenges on Wednesday winning two out of three of their duals, but dropped some key matches. The team is looking towards the Coyote Classic on Saturday, where they hope to redeem themselves.

Haley Ward, Sports Editor

The wrestling teams battled at the War Games tournament on Saturday, where they saw top finishes from both the boys and girls.

“This was a tough tournament with the defending state champions Lovejoy, the defending regional champions Northwest, and several other top 10 teams in the state present,” co-head coach Arman Mansouri said. “With several current injuries we only took 6 out of the 14 weight classes to this tournament and had a good showing.”

According to freshman Dani Banks, everyone gave it their all on Saturday.

“It was really good and everyone worked very hard, even the coaches,” Banks said. “Definitely our freshmen, even our seniors, juniors, and sophomores have seen improvement.”

With a young team for both the boys and girls, Mansouri believes there has been significant growth throughout the season.

“From the beginning of the year till now, there has been major growth being exhibited by both teams,” Mansouri said. “Individuals are learning from previous mistakes. Our young athletes continue to accumulate much needed experience, and our more experienced individuals continue to collect wins over highly ranked competitors. This season is looking very promising but there is a long way to go.”