Wrestling gears up for senior night

Shreyas Viswanathan

Four Redhawks wrestlers, seniors James Ethan Harris and William Redden, and juniors Mercede Alvarez and Taylor Clapp head to the UIL 5A state meet on Friday and Saturday at the Berry Center. They are hoping to claim state championships and show the teams what they are capable of.

Haley Ward, Sports Editor

The wrestling teams take on Midlothian High School on Wednesday at 5 p.m. at The Nest for senior and alumni night.

“We will have over 40 alumni pack the stands as we take on Midlothian High School,” co-head coach Justin Koons said. “They will once again be a very tough opponent and it will come down to a couple of matches.”

Koons believes the teams have what it takes to go up against a strong team.

“Midlothian High School is a 2023 state dual contender and will be bringing three state camp hopefuls at 106, 132, & 190-pound weight classes that will be tough to beat,” Koons said. “However, if we can possibly not give up bonus points it will keep the dual close. It will take solid wrestling, limiting the mistakes, and not taking unnecessary chances to win this dual. Which I believe we can do. My hope is that the home crowd will work in our favor by being as loud as possible.”

For junior Taylor Clapp, their win over Wakeland gives the team motivation going into Wednesday’s duals.

“We are focusing majorly on our technique for Wednesday’s duals,” Clapp said. “Midlo has quite a few good people in their lineup, but nothing we haven’t seen before. The win last week against Wakeland has really boosted our spirits for this week.”