Battery drive on campus until Friday

The+school+is+hosting+a+battery+recycling+drive+until+Friday+%28Jan.+20%29.+Students+and+staff+can+take+their+old+batteries+to+front+office+or+C120.+

Haley Johnson

The school is hosting a battery recycling drive until Friday (Jan. 20). Students and staff can take their old batteries to front office or C120.

Connor Johnson, WTV Staff Reporter

The school is hosting a battery drive through Friday with students and staff being able to drop off dead batteries. 

“I set aside all of our batteries at home and then every couple of months I bring them to the school so they can be recycled,” journalism teacher Brian Higgins said. 

By donating the batteries during the recycling drive, the batteries are able to be properly disposed of in a way that doesn’t hurt the environment according to AP Environmental Science teacher Jamie Berendt. 

“Those things need to be thrown in recycling specific for batteries because they contain a lot of heavy metals and if they are sent to a landfill through your general waste like regular trash,” Berendt said. “Those heavy metals can leak through what’s supposed to be a sanitary landfill and we want to consider keeping as many heavy metals as possible out of that because there’s always a risk of contamination into our soil or water supply.”

There are two battery drop off containers, one is in the front office and the other is in C120. Although the battery drive ends Friday, batteries can still be recycled in the front office throughout the school year. 

“I try to do my best and recycle as much as possible,” Higgins said. “But batteries aren’t something we can recycle at home, so having an option to do so at school is awesome.”