Boys’ basketball becomes Bi-District Champs

Courtesy of @Libertyredhawk

The boys’ basketball team was crowned Bi-District champions on Tuesday. They saw a 21 point lead over the Lonestar Rangers, moving them to the second round of playoffs.

Vaughn Perez, Sports Reporter

First it was a District 10-5A championship for the boys’ basketball team. Now after Tuesday’s 73-52 opening playoff win over the Lone Star Rangers at Lebanon Trail High School, the Redhawks can claim the title of Bi-District Champions as well. 

“The boys played well last night, they were able to pick it up in the 2nd half and took the game away from Lone Star after that,” head coach Stephen Friar said. “The boys played the basketball they’ve been playing all year and they’ve done it well, which is great to see practice translate to the game.”

With this win, the Redhawks move to the area championship, where they’ll face South Oak Cliff, with the date and location still to be determined.

“Our scoring efforts entering the second half brought the life and energy we needed. We were going back and forth with them, but coming out of the half we went on a huge run while keeping Lone Star to almost nothing,” senior Kaden Groom said. “If we keep playing with this passion and energy we had in the second half, and try to play like that all game, we’ll be looking good.”