• No school Friday for Staff Development Day

• No school Feb. 18 for President's Day

Review: Global Peace Factory

Finding an alternative to Starbucks can be challenging, but staff reporter Olivia Kirklin says Global Peace Factory is a solid alternative.

Olivia Kirklin

Olivia Kirklin, Staff Reporter

Driving down the busy streets of Frisco it can be hard to find a non-
Starbucks coffee shop. But go over to Legacy Drive and you’ll find Global Peace Factory, a modern coffee and pastry joint.

Found near offices and a car dealership headquarters, GPF may be in an odd location, but it’s welcoming atmosphere is like no other. Although it may have been because the shop wasn’t terribly busy, employees were immediately on their feet and ready to take your order as soon as you walk in. Friendly faces and the vibrant orange walls help to welcome customers on the spot.

In many places it can be easy to get lost in a menu, with baristas assuming you’re an avid coffee drinker, ordering the same thing each time you go. Things are different at GPF though, as the barista did not hesitate to ask if we needed help finding a drink on the menu or understanding exactly what flavors were paired with what drink. GPF is sure to make their customers feel they are wanted there. The menu isn’t terribly long, but it covers all the coffee shop essentials from lattes to teas and smoothies, all at reasonable prices per size.

At the food counter there are very few pastry selections, in fact, there’s more dessert selections like cookies and cupcakes than there are actual coffee shop pastries. To make up for the lack of food, GPF excels in making more than just coffee.  For those not looking for the full blown hype of coffee, GPF is the place for an above average smoothie.  Not only do they serve the sweet strawberry, mango, and peach combinations, but they do so with whipped cream on top, making the hearty drink taste as if it’s ice cream. It’s safe to say Smoothie King has some competition.

After ordering it’s hard not to notice how small the space looks, making it seem to customers that the few tables they have downstairs will not be enough for each person to fit.  Once you have made an effort to look around, the upper half of the shop comes as a relief. Following the elusive wooden staircase is an upper half guarded by a chained fence, containing a roomy space of tables and booths, the perfect place to relax and chat.

GPF may have it’s flaws, but the clean space, friendly staff, and simplistic feeling of the restaurant is a good place to sit and slow down in the midst of Frisco.

Olivia Kirklin, Editor-in-chief

Olivia Kirklin is a senior who joined Wingspan last year. She aspires to be a neuroscientist and sometimes cries at how much money it will cost her. She...