Racing towards state, Track competes at Area meet

Among+the+33+Redhawks+competing+in+Fridays+Area+meet%2C+are+the+more+than+a+dozen+girls+of+the+District+10-5A+championship+team.+Fridays+meet+at+the+Little+Elm+Athletic+Complex+features+the+best+of+District+9-5A+and+10-5A.+

Used with permission from @BeckyCraig19

Among the 33 Redhawks competing in Friday’s Area meet, are the more than a dozen girls of the District 10-5A championship team. Friday’s meet at the Little Elm Athletic Complex features the best of District 9-5A and 10-5A.

Addyson Schick, Assistant Sports Editor

The next step on the road to state for the Redhawks track and field team takes place on Friday in Little Elm with the Area meet.

Hoping to advance to the 5A Region II meet, track athletes are going over the numbers they will need to beat.

“I’m competing in the 4×400, but I’m not really nervous because it’s a relay, and I won’t be running alone,” sophomore Evan Bullitt said. “It’s important to know what time you’re trying to get before the meet, so you can pace yourself accordingly. After looking at the seed times, I think we have a chance at regionals.”

Running in two relays, the 4×100 and 4×200, sophomore Cayley Beaumont must work with her teammates to get the win.

“I am a little nervous because my teammates have to at least get fourth place in both races to advance to Regionals against lots of teams,” Beaumont said. “So it’s a little stressful but scary cause if one of us messes up, it may be over for everyone. We all have to be on the same page.”

33 Redhawks are competing on Friday with boys’ head coach Cory Ragsdale keeping the message simple. 

“Just go have fun and enjoy the experience,” Ragsdale said. “Compete as best you can, that’s all you can do.”