Expressing himself through music

Freshman Daniel Yang has quickly become an acclaimed bass clarinet player.

Tiffany Zhang

Janet Nguyen, Guest Contributor

Music is an escape for some people as they express their emotions through the playing of an instrument. Born in China, freshman Daniel Yang has quickly become an acclaimed bass clarinet player. Wingspan guest contributor Janet Nguyen caught up with Yang to talk about his musical career.

Wingspan: How long have you been playing the bass clarinet?

Yang: “I’ve been playing the bass clarinet for three years now. I started playing in 6th grade.”

Wingspan: Who got you into playing the bass clarinet?

Yang: “My parents wanted me to be in band so I chose the bass clarinet because it sounds beautiful. I watch a lot of music shows and the bass clarinet has always gotten my attention.”

Wingspan: Why do you enjoy playing the instrument?

Yang: “Playing the instrument is fun in general, but I play the bass clarinet to push out my feelings too.”

Wingspan: What are you planning to do in the future with the bass clarinet?

Yang: “I’m planning just to play in my high school years for now, but I don’t know about the future when I grow up as an adult.”

Wingspan: How do you feel winning so many awards as a freshman?

Yang: “I feel very honored and proud because I came from China and I never thought about winning awards because so many people are better than me.”

Wingspan: What do you feel most accomplished about ever since you’ve started playing the bass clarinet?

Yang: “I feel really accomplished about winning awards because that shows that I’m good at playing the instrument and it keeps me going.”

Wingspan: When did you get your first award? How?

Yang: “I got my first award by making it into all region band. People usually get award with 1 medal, but I got 2.”

Wingspan: What have you learned during as a bass clarinet player? throughout in life ever since you started playing the bass clarinet?

Yang: “I learned that practice makes perfect. I practice so much that I make sure everything sounds sharp, clear, and loud, so the better the perfect practice is, the more perfect I become at playing the bass clarinet.”

Wingspan: Has playing the bass clarinet made a huge impact in your life? If so, how?

Yang: “Not so much, but I made so many new friends. When I just came from China, I didn’t have that many friends, but ever since I joined band, I made a lot of friends that always supports me and is always nice to me.”

Wingspan: Are you planning to play the instrument throughout your whole life?

Yang: “Maybe and if I do, I’m just going to play for fun.”