Opinion: It’s OK to take your time

Staff columnist Emma Crampton shares why she believes students shouldn't stress about class rank.

Dea-Mallika Divi

In high school, everyone thinks you have to know exactly where you want to take your life. You have to know what college you want to attend, what job you want, where you want to live and all those things. If you don’t, you are wasting all your classes that you’re taking. However, I believe that high school is the time for people to explore their opportunities and find their true interests.

During one’s teenage years, most of us are still getting to know who we truly are. So how are we supposed to envision our life ten years later, let alone construct an entire plan.

When people ask what you want to do with your life, if you respond with “I’m not sure” or “I’m still deciding,” they look at you as if you’re crazy or will even mentally label you as lazy, irresponsible or indecisive.

If you already know exactly what you want to do, that is awesome. But it does not make you irresponsible if you do not. High school is supposed to be a time where you explore your options, find your interests, and get to know yourself as well as your future. Even in college, you can be labeled as an undeclared major for the first two years.

Therefore, if you are a high school student and have yet to decide what direction you wish to take your life or what type of career you want to pursue, try not to stress about it. Even though it may seem like you should have it all planned out by now, you really don’t. Not yet anyway. Take your high school experience as an opportunity to take classes that spark your interest, and find out what you like the most. You will figure it out eventually.

Emma Crampton, Opinion Editor

Emma Crampton is a senior (finally yay!) who loves writing, singing, and being surrounded by people she loves. She loves just about everybody too so chances...

Dea-Mallika Divi, Assignment Editor

Dea is a senior who has been doing journalism since her freshman year. She loves movies, reading and listening to music. Her favorite book series is...