Beverage contract tough to swallow for some

Dr Pepper and Snapple vending machines are located in several spots on campus as part of the districts exclusive beverage contract.

Halle Barham

Dr Pepper and Snapple vending machines are located in several spots on campus as part of the district’s exclusive beverage contract.

An exclusive beverage contract with the The American Bottling Company (Dr Pepper Snapple Group), expected to benefit the district as a whole, has created unintended negative consequences for some school organizations. Under the previous contract with Coca-Cola, clubs and organizations on campus could buy their drinks from a variety of different places. But now, all beverages must be purchased through Dr Pepper.

It is more expensive for us because of the minimum order amount that they require

— girls' soccer booster club president Van Ridlehuber

“We have to register and only buy through Dr Pepper like the other school clubs,” girls’ soccer booster club president Van Ridlehuber said. “We purchased the drinks from Sam’s before the information was given about the switch to DP.”

That may mean certain products, like water, are now more expensive when bought through Dr Pepper Snapple Group.

“We have to buy water that is Deja Blue, and for a case of Deja Blue, it’s about $15, where at Sam’s, it’s $5,” student council sponsor Jay Sommers said.

The higher prices cut into the profit margin of booster clubs and other organizations making it harder to earn the money that benefits these programs.

“It is more expensive for us because of the minimum order amount that they require,” Ridlehuber said. “We usually do not have that big of crowds and so we like to buy our products in smaller amounts.  We would never be able to sell the 10 case minimum purchase.”

The students and taxpayers of FISD are the winners

— FISD Deputy Superintendent for Business Services Richard Wilkinson

For the school district, the new contract makes financial sense. The $3.77 million contract is expected to include more than $2.55 million in cash sponsorships over the 10-year period. Combined with school district’s recent deal with Nike, the district feels the beverage agreement is a good thing.

“The students and taxpayers of FISD are the winners,” Deputy Superintendent for Business Services Richard Wilkinson said in a news release on the Frisco ISD site.

Despite some concerns, the contract is in place through 2025.

I was very excited to see the partnership with FISD and Dr Pepper,” Ridlehuber said.