Opinion: Problems with parental advisory

Staff reporter Dea-Mallika Divi thinks parents should follow through and follow the same guidelines they set for their children.

Emma Crampton

Dea-Mallika Divi, Guest Contributor

Parents can be their kid’s best friend or worst enemy, and learning how to deal with these extremes is the job of the parents. They are the adults, they need to be able to be calm and reason with their child, not yell and argue with them. But after parents do talk calmly and tell their kids what is right and what is wrong, they often forget what they told their child and do the exact things they told their kid were wrong.

This is confusing as we get confused and make more mistakes because of the inconsistency between our parent’s words and actions. Parents need to be a role model to their kids and show them the right way to live life.

After talking to some parents, I understand that they only want what’s best for their child and want them to become the best person that they can. They want their son or daughter to make good decisions in life, but kids looks up to their parents. If they see that their mom or dad isn’t abiding by their own rules they are more likely to break them. The son or daughter won’t see the importance of respecting their parent’s sermons because the parents clearly don’t think so either.

The best way for parents to drive a kid down the right path is to embark on it themselves and to be the person they want their child to be. They shouldn’t say one thing and do the other. If they tell your son or daughter to always tell the truth then they should always tell the truth too.

Dea-Mallika Divi, Assignment Editor

Dea is a senior who has been doing journalism since her freshman year. She loves movies, reading and listening to music. Her favorite book series is...