Opinion: Powderpuff didn’t need to be rigged

Featuring junior girls taking on senior girls in flag football, students can now sign up to take part in the 2024 Powderpuff game on March 27.

provided by Tim Danks

Eilidh McGarva, WTV Staff Reporter

Ordering jerseys, making tank tops, getting donuts after 7 a.m. practices, putting on black eye paint are just a few of the many fun things juniors and seniors get to do for Powderpuff. While it is a fun way to get both of the upperclassmen classes together for a night of role reversing football and cheerleading, the game itself may not follow all the rules and conducts and often ends up being rigged to give the seniors for a non-deserved win.

Unfortunately the game is filled with a lot of cheating in order to make sure the seniors win. Whether it be the tying of flags, unnecessary penalties or the adding of unearned yards, Powderpuff is known for being rigged and this can hinder the value of spending hours practicing and working hard to win. Powderpuff is notorious for awarding seniority and this year wasn’t much different except, the seniors won in what seemed to be a fair and square manner.

The junior girls had a rough time especially considering we didn’t even know how to line up at “kick off”. Personally, as a wide receiver I was told to “just run and catch the ball if it comes to you”, and on D-line I was told “just push them”. From a senior source I heard they actually had plays to run, and I believe it helped them out play us in the end.

Being a junior, I wasn’t on the other side so I don’t know for sure if the seniors tied their flags or not, but I do know that they didn’t earn two of their three touchdowns as one fell short and the other was scored by a male cheerleader. However, I still give credit to the senior girls for their win as they had an amazing pick six and played aggressively and deserved to win.