Anyone can complete this course either on the beach or in their bed as it is all online with the exception of the proctored final. (Brian Higgins)
Anyone can complete this course either on the beach or in their bed as it is all online with the exception of the proctored final.

Brian Higgins

Secondary summer school registration begins

May 14, 2018

Whether it’s trying to get ahead or trying to catch up, summer school registration begins Monday.

Ins and outs of summer school

There are three weeks left in school, but online registration for summer school begins Monday and continues until June 7 at 3:00 p.m.

Counselor Staci Stokes encourages students and parents to be aware of certain things before registering.

“I would emphasize that students and parents do their research about the registration process so as not to miss any important steps,” Stokes said. “All students and parents should visit the FISD Summer School webpage and read the information thoroughly in order to be prepared for the process.”

But unlike most classes taken during the school year, there’s no in-person teacher at summer school.

“Since summer school is online, these classes are sort of self taught,” counselor Ryan Kiefer said. “The level of instruction is not as rigorous.”

Although students can do their summer school work from home, all students must take an online exam in person on July 25. Students can take summer school classes to make up for missing credits or to get ahead in course work.

“The advantages include being able to take prereqs to take another class you want to take,” counselor Ryan Kiefer said. “Also, it can open up spots during the school year to take more classes. I would advise students to talk with their counselor about their plans, whether it is summer school or not, so they can receive the best advice and information possible before making a decision.”

Q&A with summer school principal Dana Racanelli

Secondary summer school principal Dana Racanelli receives many questions about the registration process and addressed some of the more commonly asked questions:

Do I have to wait to until July 23 and 24 to take my final?

Racanelli: “No, it can be taken as soon as the coursework is complete.”

Do I have to come to campus?

Racanelli: “Yes, all finals must be taken on campus. Courses taken for credit recovery has a pre-assessment that needs to be taken on June 12 or 13.”

Where do I go to take my final?

Racanelli: “You can go to either WHS or IHS.  Both schools are open to all students.”

Does Communication Applications fulfill the speech requirement? And do I have to do a speech?

Racanelli: “Yes, it is your speech credit.  No, you will not have to complete a speech.”

Can I complete one course by June 28th and take the final?

Racanelli: “It really depends on how dedicated you are to your work.”

How much does summer school cost?

Racanelli: “$300 per semester course.”

WINGSPAN • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in