Catie Reeves

Six Redhawks sign letters of intent

November 14, 2018

Amongst family, friends, coaches, and teammates, six students committed to continue their athletic career in college Wednesday morning in the library as they signed their National Letter of Intent.

Alyssa Nayar

Senior Alyssa Nayar signed to play girls’ volleyball at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Nayar: “University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Wingspan: Why did you choose this school?

Nayar: “Something that was really unique to me was that the players are from all different places, and I love to travel so having connections to those places is really important. I love the coaches and the facility is amazing.”

Wingspan: What aspects appealed to you?

Nayar: “The campus, the level of play was really strong. They go to the NCAA tournament pretty regularly, and just the coaching staff.”

Wingspan: What are you expecting from being a college athlete?

Nayar: “Just to get in even better shape and improve my game even further.”

Wingspan: How long did it take to make this decision?

Nayar: “It’s taken a long time, probably like three years, just because it starts so early freshman year and then I’m just trying to figure out which schools I’m interested and which schools are interested in me.”

Wingspan: What other options were you contemplating?

Nayar: “There were a couple schools I don’t really want to talk about, but there were some good options that I had.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Nayar: “Just getting back in the gym and having a great last club season because I don’t play school.”

Nissi Kabongo

Senior Nissi Kabongo signed to run track at Stephen F. Austin University.

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Kabongo: “Stephen F. Austin University.”

Wingspan: What made you pick this school?

Kabongo: “Honestly after I went to my visit there, just the people and the atmosphere and the coaches and everything. It was a really good opportunity, so I was like I have to take it.”

Wingspan: What other schools were you contemplating?

Kabongo: “I was looking at Texas or Mississippi State and SFA obviously so those were my top three schools.”

Wingspan: How long did it take you to make this decision?

Kabongo: “It was a three months window span I guess where I was deciding and contemplating what schools I should go to.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Kabongo: “Basically everything for me is already taken care of. I really just need to keep my grades up and keep getting my times down and just keep doing what I have been doing.”

Hannah Anderson

Senior Hannah Anderson signed to play girls’ soccer at Texas Tech University.

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Anderson: “Texas Tech.”

Anderson: “Because I like the coaches, the players and facilities and just really everything about it.”

Wingspan: What aspects appealed to you?

Anderson: “I just liked staying in Texas and I also liked the coaches. It really just felt like home to me.”

Anderson: “I know it’s going to be hard, but it’s definitely rewarding. Just being a student athlete now is hard, but it’s fun to play in the games and doing the thing you love with awesome people.”

Anderson: “I went on my visit, and I just thought it over, but probably a week or so. I knew I didn’t want to go anywhere else, so I decided to verbally commit.

Anderson: “There were a few others, but I decided Tech was the best one for me.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Anderson: “I’ve been working out, lifting weights, just doing everything I can to make sure I’m ready for college.”

Tara Martin

Senior Tara Martin signed to play girls’ volleyball at The University of Texas at Tyler.

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Martin: “The University of Texas at Tyler.

Wingspan: What made you choose this school?

Martin: “For their nursing and it’s kind of close to home. One of my best friends is going with me so I think it will be a lot more fun.”

Martin: “Somewhere in Oklahoma, somewhere in Arkansas, just around the area. I was looking at Tarleton and some other schools here in Texas, but I think UT Tyler made me want to commit more was because of the nursing school and how it would be challenging for me.”

Martin: “It took me about eight months just to make sure that it was the right fit for me.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Martin: “Well I’m going to be working out with Sophie, Ashley and Izzy and we’re going to be working out just to stay in shape for whenever we start college volleyball because it’s going to be hard and something that we’re not used to.”

Randi Thompson

Senior Randi Thompson signed to play girls’ basketball at the University of North Texas.

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Thompson: “University of North Texas.

Thompson: “When I went on my official visit, I just really fell in love with the school and I just love the coaches and all the girls there.”

Wingspan: What aspects appealed to you?

Thompson: “The facilities, the people there, the living situation and the coaches.”

Thompson: “I expect that my level of responsible will be a lot higher and I just need to start grinding the way I’ve been grinding.”

Thompson: “It took me ever since I started playing basketball I’ve been thinking about going to college. I received my offer in the middle of the summer and it didn’t take me too long to know that I wanted to go there.”

Thompson: “I had offers from Texas Tech, Louisiana Tech, and University of Arkansas at Little Rock also.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Thompson: “Just mentally prepare and make sure I’m in shape and when I get there, I’m ready to go.”

Sophie Thompson

Senior Sophie Thompson signed to play girls’ volleyball at Colgate University.

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Thompson: “Colgate University.

Thompson: “Because it has a really good education and it’s on the East Coast.”

Thompson: “I was looking at Fresno State, University of Houston, and the University of Memphis.”

Thompson: “It took about three months”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Thompson: “I just need to get in better shape and work out more.”