In this week’s addition of Artistic Expressions, Wingspan sits down with sophomore Haylee Bobbitt to get some insight on her passion for improv.

Haylee Bobbitt

Name: Haylee Bobbitt

Grade: 10th Grade

Future College: LSU

Future Job: Kindergarten Teacher

Years in Theater: 2

Inspiration: My mom 

Favorite Actor: Leslie Mann

Wingspan: Do you do any sort of theater outside of school?

Bobbitt: No I do not. I did not click as much as the other students did, I was just not interested in the improv portion of theatre.

Wingspan: What made you want to choose to do theater?

Bobbitt: Actually my mom. she thought I would be really good at it so I thought I would give it a try.

Wingspan: How does theater impact your daily life?

Bobbitt: Well, this was my first class at liberty and I didn’t know many people. I only had one friend coming into the school, I’ve known him for almost 11 years now. while in theater they were all very welcoming and I met my best friend that day, so I can thank theatre for that one.

Wingspan: Are you considering continuing theater beyond high school? Why?

Bobbitt: I really wanted to but it did not fit into my schedule. next year I’m going to be in child guidance and color guard so I will have a pretty jam-packed schedule. I did have a lot of fun in this class, I really wish I could continue this journey with them.

Wingspan: What are your personal goals for this year?

Bobbitt: I am wanting to do more volunteering this year, I wasn’t able to do as much the last year and a half because of social distancing and covid, but I hope that I will be able to start getting back into it. as well as Colorguard I am very excited about that.

Wingspan: What is your favorite thing about theater?

Bobbitt: I would have to say the bond we have all made, its almost like a second family. I know that I could definitely trust and go to not only Mrs. Willingham but the students as well with any problems or concerns confidently.

Wingspan: Do you audition/enjoy the plays that the school puts on?

Bobbitt: Yes. My friend and I went to the show “an actor’s nightmare” and I was very surprised with the outcome; it was very well performed and written.

Wingspan: What’s your favorite memory of theater?

Bobbitt: Probably the first couple classes/weeks because we did a lot of personal work and you got to really learn more about the kids in the class as well as Mrs. Willingham.

Wingspan: What is your advice to anybody thinking about joining theater?

Bobbitt: Go into this class with an open mind. there are some things that may make you feel like you look “dumb” or “stupid” but if you stop worrying about that for a few seconds you can see how much fun it actually is. just be yourself, and be confident because that’s the most important thing to have in theatre.

Wingspan: What is your favorite thing you have done in theater?

Bobbitt: I would have to say when we got to read the script of plays/shows. we got to really connect with the characters and experiment with what we liked.