Assistant football coach Todd Warren teaches world history off the field.

Hallie Hunter

History’s coach

For the first couple of class periods each day, he spends his time teaching world history. But when fourth period starts, Todd Warren moves from the class to the field where he is an assistant football coach. Wingspan sat down with Todd Warren to talk about his daily shift from academics to sports.

Wingspan: What made you come to campus this year?

Warren: “Coach Burtch [head football coach Chris Burtch] told me about and opportunity to coach here, also I wanted to be apart of this campus.”

Wingspan: What are a couple things you enjoy about school so far?

Warren: “The kids are great. All the students and athletes that I have worked with are great. I enjoy the admin they’ve been great as well as the social studies department best I have been apart of.”

Wingspan: How did you decide what subject to teach?

Warren: “Honestly, I taught math my first 2 years there was an opening at Vandeventer and it was for social studies. I had a certification for it so I thought it would be interesting to teach a subject where the possibility for extensive dialogue was possible which is much different than math since you can’t necessarily create that kind of conversation.”

Wingspan: What schools have you taught at before? How many years have you been teaching?

Warren: “I have taught at Seminole, Vandeventer, Krum for a total of 4 years so far.”

Wingspan: How long do you expect to stay at campus?

Warren: “I have no plans of leaving anytime soon.”

Wingspan: Where are you from and what do you miss from there?

Warren: “I am from Seminole, Texas I miss the small town community.”

Wingspan: How many people are in your family?

Warren: “I have two in my family but the family I grew up in had five.”

Wingspan: What was your dream college when you were a kid?

Warren: “My dream college was University of Michigan. I watched their football games every week.”

Wingspan: What college did you go to? Why?

Warren: “I went to Texas Tech University it was about 80 miles from my hometown so I used to go to games there, I was familiar with the campus and my brother also went there before me.”

Wingspan: What did you do during the summer?

Warren: “I played a lot of golf and went to church camps.”

Wingspan: What are a couple of your hobbies outside of school?

Warren: “I play music, I like to play piano and guitar, I play in the church my wife and I are members of, I also love golf.”

Wingspan: What is favorite sport to coach? To play? To watch?

Warren: “To play is golf and to watch and coach is basketball.”