• Thanksgiving Break Nov. 20-24

• Wingspan named a 2018 CSPA Digital Crown finalist for third year in a row

Filed under A&E, Showcase

One month, one novel

November was National Novel Writing Month and was composed of student writers and the Writers Guild.

“The writers guild is pairing with the library during november for National Novel Writing Month which is an initiative by NANOWRIMO to get people to tell their story so for November their goal is to write 50,000 words,” school librarian Jeana Chetty said. “Now we all don’t have that same goal. A couple people in the club it’s their first time. It’s their first time ever doing NANOWRIMO. Some people have done this every year since their first year.”

It gave the students a chance to be creative and learn how to put a plotline and characters together to create a story.

“When we first met on November 1st some kids have no plot ideas, no idea of what their characters were going to do or anything like that,” Chetty said. “Some students have a whole arc of the novel and said, “ What do yall think?” so we’re all coming from different points, but the point is that we are all writing together.”

Senior Ayala Ben-david has been participating in the NANOWRIMO challenge since her freshman year and has learned a lot.

“I’ve learned a lot about the value of having other people read your writing,” Ben-david said. “It’s kind of the part i look forward to the least. Sometimes when people criticize it work it almost feels personal and you have to remember it’s not and this is something that needs improvement like any other thing you do. So I would say that even though it’s one of the things I like least it’s also one of the most beneficial parts of being in a writing club with other people to tell you from an outsider perspective what you should consider changing.”

Everybody will now part ways and continue their story on their own for their own personal achievement. I’m Justice Starks reporting for WTV.