The campus health care specialist

October 2, 2015

The+nurses+office+sits+empty+in+this+picture%2C+but+school+nurse+Emily+Mikeska+is+one+of+the+most+visited+staff+members+on+campus.+

Haley Flores

The nurse’s office sits empty in this picture, but school nurse Emily Mikeska is one of the most visited staff members on campus.

One of the most visited staff members on campus is school nurse Emily Mikeska. With an office located just off the rotunda, Mikeska is easily found and frequently asked for.

Wingspans Haley Flores sat down with Mikeska and talked her students, medicine and

Wingspan: What do students do when they feel sick and are not able to get the proper treatment?

Mikeska: “I always encourage to treat the symptoms early so things hopefully do not advance to something worse. If lack of insurance is the issue we do have a source provided by the district to get some medical coverage.”

Wingspan: What happens when a student is feeling ill and does not have a fever, but is in pain?

Mikeska: “My goal would be hopefully identify what may be causing the pain. Some things can be treated with ice and heat. If the pain is severe it may require more management such as medications or may even need to be evaluated by a doctor.”

Wingspan: What are the medication rules regarding students and pills?

Mikeska: “Students are not allowed to carry medications and should not give or accept meds from anyone. The exception to this are diabetics who are allowed to carry their testing supplies and insulin. Students with asthma may carry an inhaler with a signed permission from their doctor. Parents can supply medication to the clinic and with a signed permission form I can dispense medication to a student, but it stays with me.”

Wingspan: What are the weirdest things students have asked you about?

Mikeska: “I typically will see someone for a red spot on their skin and they want to know if it’s a spider bite. That’s something I can’t confirm when it’s a small red dot.”

Wingspan: What made you become a nurse?

Mikeska: “My mom was a nurse when I was a little girl and I grew up the oldest of six kids and I always had to care for my siblings. My mom said I was always a great help. When I was in high school I did some research and it was a field that said had great job security and I wanted that.”

Wingspan: What are the requirments to become a school nurse in FISD?

Mikeska: “To be an RN, and have some previous experience.”

Wingspan: How has your experience being a nurse at here on campus been?

Mikeska: “I totally enjoy my work here. I sometimes have to be the bad guy and you won’t always go home.”