Best Buddies vice president Kendall Metcalf is pinning a white ribbon on a classroom door as part of the schools White Ribbon Week.

Maddie Owen

Best Buddies vice president Kendall Metcalf is pinning a white ribbon on a classroom door as part of the school’s White Ribbon Week.

Kendall Metcalf

Junior and vice president of Best Buddies, Kendall Metcalf believes Disability Awareness Week will serve as an important step towards opening the school and community up about disabilities by familiarizing students with each other’s differences.

“Disability awareness is just teaching kids about all the disabilities they have, no matter how big or how small they are. It ranges from autism to even dyslexia, which is way more common,” Metcalf said. “It’s just showing kids that you need to include everyone and make sure they feel loved just like all your other friends and peers.”

Metcalf hopes raising awareness for disabilities will solve any misunderstandings and remove any inappropriate attitudes towards those dealing with disabilities.

“People just need to be aware because they don’t understand that some of the things they say and how they act towards students with disabilities can sometimes be offensive,” Metcalf said. “We need to spread love because it makes [students with disabilities] and their family members and friends happier than you can ever imagine.”

Metcalf serves as a buddy to a student with disabilities for Best Buddies. Constantly communicating with and caring for her new friend helps her gain more insight to being more compassionate towards others.

“It makes me be a lot more patient and accepting. My buddy is Erin and she loves spending time with me, now it’s equal,” Metcalf said. “It used to be difficult but now I have become more patient and understanding.”

As a member and officer of Best Buddies, Metcalf is one of the student representatives educating and advocating for disability awareness around campus.

“I love representing the school with Best Buddies and just displaying awareness because it’s a really good thing to be a part of and the work we do shines light in other people’s lives and makes them want to love the students the same,” Metcalf said. “We just set a good example.”

Disability Awareness Week is a way to get students involved in the community of disabilities, helping others realize that their fellow peers should be loved and cared for.

“This week I just really hope that people are able to gain more knowledge about what each disability is and just knowing that you need to see them as equal,” Metcalf said. “Just take off their labels and treat them as any other person at school.”