Seniors Andrew Ashmore, Dalton Stewart, Kailyn Lay, Ashley Cook, Jordan Johnston, Regan Cooper, and Precious Essien (left to right) signed on to continue their athletic careers in college on Wednesday Morning in the library. (Melody Tavallaee)
Seniors Andrew Ashmore, Dalton Stewart, Kailyn Lay, Ashley Cook, Jordan Johnston, Regan Cooper, and Precious Essien (left to right) signed on to continue their athletic careers in college on Wednesday Morning in the library.

Melody Tavallaee

Redhawk athletes sign letters of intent

May 15, 2019

Family, friends, teammates, and coaches filled the library on Wednesday morning as seven students signed their National Letter of Intent, committing to continue their athletic career in college.

Melody Tavallaee

Wrestling athlete Precious Essien signed a National Letter of Intent to continue his athletic career at University of Missouri at a Signing Day Ceremony Wednesday in the library.

Precious Essien

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Essien: “University of Missouri.”

Wingspan: Why did you choose this school?

Essien: “They have a very good wrestling program and business program, and that’s what I want to study. They reached out to me and I thought it’d be a great opportunity.”

Wingspan: What aspects appealed to you?

Essien: “They have a really awesome team culture, I can tell the guys really care and look out for each other, and the coaches are really awesome as well.”

Wingspan: What are you expecting from being a college athlete?

Essien: “A lot of hard work, a lot of dedication and time, and a lot of fun.”

Wingspan: How long did it take to make this decision?

Essien: “I’d said a few months; after the team camp I went to over at Missouri, I felt like I decided I wanted to go, but it took a while talking to my parents, coaches, and family, and things like that. After a few months, I knew there was no other place I wanted to go.”

Wingspan: What other options were you contemplating?

Essien: “A lot of schools in Oklahoma and closer in Texas just because my parents didn’t want me to go far.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Essien: “A lot of running, a lot of trying to get in shape, and also just trying to make sure I’m used to buckling down on my school work.”

Melody Tavallaee

Wrestling athlete Jordan Johnston signed a National Letter of Intent to continue her athletic career at Schreiner University at a Signing Day Ceremony Wednesday in the library.

Jordan Johnston

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Johnston: “Schreiner University.”

Johnston: “I really like the campus and the coaches and the team there, I felt like I just really fit in.”

Wingspan: What aspects appealed to you?

Johnston: “It’s a smaller school, and I would hate to go to a bigger school.”

Johnston: “I’m expecting to have to put in a lot of work and I’m expecting to probably lose a lot my first year, but I’m still going to put in the work to hopefully do well.”

Johnston: “It took me a while because my parents always wanted me to go into music, and I always knew I didn’t want to. I always knew I wanted to do wrestling, but it took me a while to talk to my parents about it and actually make the choice to choose wrestling over music.”

Johnston: “I was contemplating going into music, because that’s what my parents wanted. I was also contemplating other schools, like Lyon, but I chose Schreiner, ultimately.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Johnston: “I’m going to be conditioning, lifting, wrestling over the summer and just practicing a lot as much as I possibly can.”

Melody Tavallaee

Wrestling athlete Ashley Cook signed a National Letter of Intent to continue her athletic career at Lyon College at a Signing Day Ceremony Wednesday in the library.

Ashley Cook

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Cook: “Lyon College.”

Cook: “I knew the coach, he’d been recruiting me for a while and some of my former teammates are a part of that program right now, so it made sense to look there.”

Wingspan: What aspects appealed to you?

Cook: “I really liked the campus, it’s a smaller college so it’s easier to not get lost and the class size is smaller, so I’ll have more one on one with my teachers and stuff.”

Cook: “I’m expecting to be challenged a lot more and be around a lot of high caliber athletes that can make me better and push me to get my butt beat a lot.”

Cook: “It was a pretty last minute decision, so it look me a while to decide.”

Cook: “For a long time I was trying to get into the Naval Academy, but once I got my rejection letter from them, it was between Texas State and Lyon.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Cook: “Hit the gym a lot, a lot of summer lifting, some camps, running, and just getting into shape.”

Melody Tavallaee

Football athlete Dalton Stewart signed a National Letter of Intent to continue his athletic career at Southwestern College at a Signing Day Ceremony Wednesday in the library.

Dalton Stewart

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Stewart: “Southwestern College in Kansas.”

Stewart: “It was the only football scholarship I got.”

Wingspan: What aspects appealed to you?

Stewart: “Their coaching staff is a very experienced coaching staff.”

Stewart: “The memories, it’s just going to be very memorable.”

Stewart: “About three minutes after they told me I got offered.”

Stewart: “I was going to go to Collin if I didn’t get a scholarship.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Stewart: “Staying in the weight room, on the football field to work out and get stronger.”

Melody Tavallaee

Basketball athlete Kailyn Lay signed a National Letter of Intent to continue her athletic career at Coffeyville Kansas at a Signing Day Ceremony Wednesday in the library.

Kailyn Lay

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Lay: “Coffeyville Kansas.”

Lay: “They sounded really interested in getting me to the next level, and they offered a full scholarship.”

Wingspan: What aspects appealed to you?

Lay: “The way they run stuff and how they do stuff, their tradition.”

Lay: “Hard work and stress in dealing with basketball and school.”

Lay: “Probably two weeks.”

Lay: “There was another school in Oklahoma that I was debating, so just between those two colleges.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Lay: “Really just working hard and making myself better.”

Melody Tavallaee

Volleyball athlete Regan Cooper signed a National Letter of Intent to continue her athletic career at Millsaps College at a Signing Day Ceremony Wednesday in the library.

Regan Cooper

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Cooper: “Millsaps College.”

Cooper: “For location and their really prestigious academics.”

Wingspan: What aspects appealed to you?

Cooper: “How their conference is over a wide region of the country, and it involves a lot of traveling, so I’ll get to see a lot of new places and play the sport that I love.”

Cooper: “A lot of hard work and early mornings.”

Cooper: “Probably a little over a year and a half; I started my junior year and didn’t commit until spring semester of my senior year.”

Cooper: “This was my only school left that I was considering for volleyball, all of the rest were academic only. It just kind of worked out to where I picked the volleyball route.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Cooper: “A lot of early mornings, hard work, and some dieting.”

Melody Tavallaee

Track and field athlete Andrew Ashmore signed a National Letter of Intent to continue his athletic career at Harding University at a Signing Day Ceremony Wednesday in the library.

Andrew Ashmore

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Ashmore: “Harding University.”

Ashmore: “I have a rich family history there and they had a good program.”

Wingspan: What aspects appealed to you?

Ashmore: “Their hard work, consistency, and will to get work done.”

Ashmore: “More workload, more academics, and just a more fun experience.”

Ashmore: “Not long, I knew my freshman year that I wanted to go here.”

Ashmore: “I was considering Oklahoma Christian for a while, but it didn’t work out.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to prepare?

Ashmore: “By staying in shape over the summer.”