Maddie Aronson

Senior Aliza Porter played a big role in the Wingspan program with an Assignment Editor title after four years in the class.

Aliza Porter

May 30, 2019

Graduation is quickly approaching and I am experiencing multiple emotions: excitement, sadness, disbelief, and anxiousness. These past four years have gone by so fast that it feels as if yesterday I was a freshman wearing my unicorn shirt and going to my first period class in a sea of people. That’s not the point though. The point is that it’s here. A new journey, new opportunities, new people, and new experiences await me in another four years to come. Except this time, I will be spending these four years in college.

For the past four years, I have been committed to two things: law enforcement and journalism. My dedication to journalism for 4 years and my dedication to law enforcement for 2, not only shaped me into the person I am today, but taught me a ton of valuable skills that I can bring to the real world; one of them being communication.

I remember being so nervous as a freshman and sophomore in journalism when it came to doing interviews. I could hardly pull people out of class just to ask them a simple question.

Senior year is where things took a turn for the better. I had the honor of becoming an assignment editor and I even started my own podcast where I catch up with former redhawks. I also had the opportunity to write two special issue stories regarding the Student Opportunity Center and Fostering a Family. Ironic right?

I went from being this super shy and quiet person to interacting with people of all different types of backgrounds. I thank my journalism teacher, Mr. Higgins, for allowing me to start my own podcast for Wingspan in hopes that its legacy continues on as I leave the nest as well as making me a better journalist. I would also like to thank my law enforcement teacher, Officer Turner, for being an inspiration and increasing my passion for law enforcement as that is the path I hope to take.

Although this is a farewell column, this is not farewell. This is a see you again as I continue to reflect on my high school journey and everyone I met along the way that created a lasting impact.

Thank you to all my friends and family who have continuously supported me and to Liberty for providing me with the best possible high school education that I am ever so grateful to have had.