Losing the first set by 10 points (25-15), the Redhawks won the next three sets (26-24, 25-20, 25-18) to earn the 3-1 win, and bringing Lebanon Trail’s 11 game winning streak to an end. The Redhawks own winning streak moved to 11 games with the team now 9-0 in district play. (Provided by Tom Trezza)
Losing the first set by 10 points (25-15), the Redhawks won the next three sets (26-24, 25-20, 25-18) to earn the 3-1 win, and bringing Lebanon Trail’s 11 game winning streak to an end. The Redhawks own winning streak moved to 11 games with the team now 9-0 in district play.

Provided by Tom Trezza

In a battle for first, Redhawks prevail

September 30, 2019

It was the District 9-5A match of the month as both Lebanon Trail and the Redhawks entered Friday’s game at LTHS undefeated in district play at 8-0.

The practices

“I think the practices leading up to the game were really beneficial to our success against Lebanon Trail,” junior Caitlyn Brown said. ‘The drills that we did were very competitive and game-like, and our intensity was through the roof.”

The build up

“The game was really hyped up and everyone in the district had been talking about it being a big game sense the beginning of season,” sophomore Tanner Hanson said. “We had already prepared for the game and knew that we’d win as long as we didn’t go in cocky. We just all felt confident.”

The mindset

“The hype for playing LT has been there since the beginning of the season,” junior Peyton Lein said. “When it came to the time of the match we already had the mindset that it was only winning but it would be hard.”

The bus ride there

“The bus ride was really exciting,” senior Emily Nickell said. “We all went in super confident and cohesive. The bus rides are always really fun because it gives us a chance to bond and I definitely felt that was beneficial going into the LT game.”

The pregame talk

“We talked out making sure we worked together and as a team,” junior Sue Slater said. “We had to go into the game with the mindset of being the first place team and never let up and keep fighting from the beginning.”

The warm up

“I was just focusing on actually getting focused and staying calm for the team,” senior Jenna Wenaas said. “We were all hyped to play, but at the same time we knew we had to be calm and collected.”

The first set

“The first was really frantic and kind of like a reality check that we had to actually work for a win because we haven’t really had to work as hard as we did against LT when playing other teams,” sophomore Lauryn Hill said.

The second set

“I was excited and proud of the team,” senior Alyssa Franklin said. “I feel like we bounced back after the first set and fought harder to pull out a win for the second set.”

The third set

“We felt optimistic coming off that win and we knew we needed to jump on them the next set so we wouldn’t have to go to five,” junior DD Bova Ford said. “As well as that we wanted to beat them in 4 since that would be our first win at Lebanon Trail.”

The fourth set

“I felt really excited to just get on the court and play on such an important game, and I think the energy from the crowd really helped boost our morale,” junior Grace Duong said.

The student section

“I think that our student section played a huge role in the game,” junior Franny Trezza said. “LT was a hard team and the energy our peers gave us just added that extra something that really helped us out. The girls on the court and the bench and the fans in the stands were all just bouncing energy off each other. Even when LT got a point that really upped their momentum, the energy we had from our fans helped to keep us in control of the game.”

The win

“I felt ecstatic and proud of the team because this is what we have been wanting and working really hard for,” senior Kyla Crawford said.

The atmosphere

“Originally the atmosphere of the gym was heavily on Lebanon’s side but as the game progressed our stands started to get really hype which got us really hype,” junior Emma Varela said. “Overall it was a really fun game to play and I’m so proud of us for pushing and coming out of the game as winners in the end.”

The bus ride back

“On the bus ride back I felt so excited that we beat LT at their home,” senior Lauren Ransom said. “That was our first win against them at their school. It was a great feeling and I can’t wait to play them again.”

The effect on the season

“After the LT game, I felt really excited and hype,” sophomore Paeton Davis said. “I was really proud of how we played. Our connection on the court was really good and that definitely helped us pull through. As for the rest of the season, we are the team to beat, and I’m really excited to see how the 2nd round in district goes.”