The Disciplinary program serves students of all grade levels. In this chapter Wingspan takes a look at the program for high school students

Chapter 3: the disciplinary program

October 18, 2019

The disciplinary program was designed to be broken up into two placements: mandatory and discretionary.

“There’s what’s called mandatory, and this is where like if a student is caught on drugs or if they’re in possession of drugs on campus, or there are assaults,” Kirk said. “Mainly ours are drugs and alcohol, but there are other reasons why that the students can be sent over here. We have a 60 day placement with a 30 day review and students just have to jump through certain hoops. We have a point sheet that they have to carry around with them so their behavior has to be, not perfect, but good, and they have to be passing all their classes.”

Depending on the placement, the SOC has also parent programs to help students get back on track.

“If they are here for a drug or alcohol placement, then they have classes during the day that the students have to attend that are drug and alcohol related,” Kirk said. “The parents have to come for a night-parent class on drug and alcohol for them to go back on the 30 day review, otherwise, students will have to stay for the full placement.” 

However, not all students are part of the disciplinary program because of illegal activities. 

“The other type of placements that are in a discipline program are called discretionary and this is for students that just have continuously done some things,” Kirk said. “You know, you’ve seen the kiddos that are just, class clowns; they don’t do what they’re supposed to after so many strikes. The students and the campuses have worked with them and their behavior hasn’t changed. They’re not being successful on the campus so they end up coming over here on what’s called a discretionary placement.”

The program enforces discipline in similar ways to other campuses, but Kirk explains that the SOC has a unique point system.

“We still have In school,” Kirk said. “We have OSS. The difference is that they carry a point sheet with them and every period the teacher has to give them some. They have to earn so many points during the day and once they earn those points, then they keep going up on levels and they go through the red level, the yellow level, and in the green level. 

In order to go back to their home campus, students are required to be on the green level for 10 days, the yellow level for 3 days, the red level for 3 days, and then be on the green level for the rest of the 30 day review.

“The teacher has those points sheets up there and if a student talks out, or doesn’t follow a directive the teacher gives them, then they will take them reduce their points for the day,” Kirk said. “If they get so many points reduced, then they have to go back to a lower level and at some point they’ll end up back in red room or ISIS, which is basically the same thing. And then they have to start all over, which means then more than likely, they’re not going to be able to go back to their home campus after 30 Day Review.”