Freshman Jane Wester has been participating in theatre for a number of years, and is now in the theatres upcoming showing of Matilda. Playing the lead as a freshman, Wester is tackling a role bigger than many she has had in the past.

Jane Wester

Name: Jane Wester

Grade: Sophomore

Wingspan: How does it feel to be the lead role of such an ambitious show as Matilda the Musical?

Wester: “Well it’s definitely a different character than what I’ve played before because- You know, I’m a little person I get a lot of little roles. But it’s different in this case because the ‘littler role’ is a lead. So, it’s a lot of developing the character in a different way then I normally would.”

Wingspan: Have you been doing anything to prepare for the play?

Wester: “I definitely worked really hard for my audition and then during the rehearsal progress I’ve been doing a lot to get ready for rehearsals outside of rehearsals to see how our directors want us to show the story onstage.”

Wingspan: What are you most excited for in this play?

Wester: “I’m definitely excited to see how our directors want us to put this show on the stage because it’s a contemporary show and it hasn’t really been done before since the rights for it just came out. So I’m really excited to see their vision.” 

Wingspan: Why do you think that you got the role of Matilda?

Wester: “I worked hard for it, and conveniently I look the part but I do work pretty hard to know the part when I was going into the audition.”

Wingspan: How does this play, and this role, compare to others you’ve had in the past?

Wester: “As I’ve said, I’ve had a lot of younger roles. And again, this role is the lead so it’s a sort of different concept because the younger role is usually the comedic side character. So it’s definitely a different concept then what I’ve played with in the past.”

Wingspan: What’s challenging about taking on a role like this?

Wester: “She(Matilda) is very- Well, I’ve always thought myself better at dramatic roles and Matilda is a comedic, different kind of comedy then what I am used to so I have to learn how to deliver the lines right to get that correct.”

Wingspan: What sort of people are going to love this show?

Wester: “Definitely people who love big musicals, because there is a lot of big songs that are just giant ensemble songs and they’re just fun to watch and to be a part of.”

Wingspan: Would you consider the character of Matilda like you? Or different?

Wester: “I would consider her somewhat like me in the fact that she, throughout the show, develops a sense of self and recognizes that she is smart, and I think that’s something that everyone goes through, and that they have abilities that they can use to their advantage.”

Wingspan: What makes a good scene partner?

Wester: “Oh definitely energy. If you are giving the same energy that they’re giving and taking the same amount of energy they’re taking then it’s definitely a very good handoff. And it definitely progresses the scene much better, and can make it so much more emotional.”

Wingspan: What are your expectations for this show?

Wester: “Well I expect it to be very different than a lot of the shows that I’ve done. And that the other shows I’ve been in here have been plays that have been put on before, it’s an experience for everyone to say the least.”