Battling+with+mental+illnesses+such+as+anxiety%2C+depression%2C+and+atypical+anorexia%2C+junior+Rachel+Wilson+decided+to+share+her+story+on+social+media+for+World+Suicide+Prevention+Day.+Now%2C+months+later%2C+she+is+sharing+her+story+on+Wingspan.+

Rachel’s recovery: a battle with depression

Battling with mental illnesses such as anxiety, depression, and atypical anorexia, junior Rachel Wilson decided to share her story on social media for World Suicide Prevention Day. Now, months later, she is sharing her story on Wingspan.

provided by Rachel Wilson

provided by Rachel Wilson

provided by Rachel Wilson

February 4, 2020

Anxiety. Depression. Atypical anorexia.

Symptoms to some, but a checklist of disorders for junior Rachel Wilson. And on World Suicide Prevention Day, she decided to share her story via social media.

The day is, at most, a mere blip on the radar for many high school students, but it was so much more to Rachel. For her, it was a day to make public her battle with mental illness, hoping her words could give encouragement to others who may also be struggling. 

“I realized it was World Suicide Prevention Day. And I was just thinking, why not tell people,” Rachel said. “I know I felt this way at one point, if someone were to see something that someone else was so vulnerable, and be able to put themselves out there saying, I’ve been through it, like what you’re going through right now, the best thing to do is go get help. And that’s what I wanted to portray in mine, or just in case anyone that I was friends with, or that follow my page would be able to see that and think, ‘Oh, I need to get some help’.”

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Rachel’s recovery: a battle with depression”

1. Brandy Darrow on February 4th, 2020 9:24 pm

One of the best Wingspan articles I’ve ever seen. Bravo to your staff! And huge respect and admiration to Rachel and her family. What a gift they have given us all by sharing their story.

2. Alejandra Musi on February 5th, 2020 10:45 pm

A great piece: well written and with a lot of useful information and accurate research. Congratulations!!

3. Mayte Fernandez on February 6th, 2020 11:59 am

Great article. Very well written and above all very human. It is very important to hear all the people in the family. Rachel’s courage and testimony can help many people. Congratulations to the author.

4. Mary J Markle on February 6th, 2020 12:06 pm

Congratulations. This article helps all the young girls to understand differently all the how complex that stage of life can be for them. Touching and close but with great informative value. Thank you

5. Carlos Arcelus on February 6th, 2020 6:31 pm

Querida Ana:Te felicito,además que escribes muy bien,lo laces tratando un tema muy actual de salud mental del que poco se trata en público,sigue así y ayudarás a la gente a leer lo que desean ver escrito:::Busos tío Carlos y AGUR

WINGSPAN • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in