A cop life

February 8, 2016

Spending the school year here on campus, school resource officer Jerry Varner is a full time Frisco Police Department officer.

Amber Holt

Everyone knows him, but not many people know too much about him. Wingspan’s Daniela Iturrino sat down with School Resource Officer Jerry Varner to discuss the in’s and out’s of being a police officer.

Wingspan: How does your day usually play out?

Varner: “It’s about a 12 hour day that starts with arriving at school making rounds and looking for anything out of the ordinary and also concentrating putting on a smiling face.”

Wingspan: What do you do all day?

Varner:  “I usually make sure that I’m visible, not so much to the students but to the outside world. I’m a resource for anybody who needs anything.”

Wingspan: What do kids usually come to you for?

Varner:  “Some come asking questions about future careers in law enforcement, some struggle with an un balanced family life at home, and some just want somebody to talk to that’ll listen.”

Wingspan: What’s the craziest thing you’ve had to do as a cop here on campus?

Varner: “Probably getting a snake out of the school.”

Wingspan: What do you love most about your job?

Varner: “Being around young people, it’s kind of energizing.”

Wingspan: What do you love least about your job?

Varner: “Seeing young people make bad decisions.”

Wingspan: What made you want to work in this industry?

Varner: “I kinda came across it by accident, it was suggested by a supervisor and at the time i didn’t think i wanted to do it but it turned out to be one of the best jobs I ever had.”

Wingspan: How are kids supposed to know when they’re in a type of situation where you’re needed?

Varner: “I try to spread the word and communicate with the kids but usually a student will be in a situation where a friend suggests that I’m needed.”

Wingspan: Has a teacher ever come to you asking for help?

Varner: “All the time, I’m here for everybody.”