With only 50 spots to fill per voice part,  21 Redhawk choir students secured a spot in the 2021 TMEA All-Region choir. Out of these 21, nine students will be advancing in the next round, while moving up the ladder towards All-State.

Caroline Attmore

With only 50 spots to fill per voice part, 21 Redhawk choir students secured a spot in the 2021 TMEA All-Region choir. Out of these 21, nine students will be advancing in the next round, while moving up the ladder towards All-State.

Jiya Surywanshi

Name: Jiya Surywanshi

Grade: 10th

Future College: Undecided

Future Job: Undecided

Years in Choir: 6

Inspiration: My family, because that is where I first started gaining my love for music

Wingspan: How do you prepare for a performance?

Surywanshi: “Preparing for a performance whether it’s UIL or just a concert is always nerve-wracking since I don’t want to mess up and stand out in a negative way. To prepare I always make sure I warm up my voice and that I have all my music memorized. The best way to prepare for a performance is to practice and have it right.”

Wingspan: What made you want to choose to do choir?

Surywanshi: “My love for singing. I always knew that if I joined an orchestra or band there was a possibility I’d stop playing the instrument but there was no way I’d ever stop singing. I also knew that joining choir was going to help me improve as a singer overall.”

Wingspan: How does choir impact your daily life?

Surywanshi: “It helps me become a better singer and makes me happy.”

Wingspan: What are your personal goals for this year?

Surywanshi: “Although originally it was to make it to All-State Choir which I didn’t accomplish, my goal will always be to improve my voice and become a better singer with every experience I get.”

Wingspan: What is your favorite thing about choir?

Surywanshi: “My favorite thing about choir is being around the people who have the same passion for singing as I do.”

Wingspan: How do you balance choir, school, and any other extracurriculars?

Surywanshi: “I always prioritize the list of things I need to accomplish in the week and complete them accordingly.” 

Wingspan: What’s your favorite memory of choir?

Surywanshi: “My favorite memory of choir is when I had the opportunity to perform at Carnegie Hall in New York. I got to share this experience with some of my closest friends which made it even more fun.”

Wingspan: What is your advice to anybody thinking about joining choir?

Surywanshi: “If you have a passion for singing, joining choir will definitely help you grow as a singer and as a person.”

Wingspan: What is your favorite thing you have done in choir?

Surywanshi: “I have enjoyed all the concerts but the spring concerts are always my favorite since there is a theme and getting dressed up for them is really fun.”