Yale%E2%80%99s+Skull+and+Bones+Tomb%2C+the+headquarters%2C+is+located+on+the+universitys+campus+in+New+Haven%2C+CT.+It+is+arguably+one+of+the+most+well-known%2C+discussed%2C+and+detested+secret+societies.+

"Yale Skull and Bones Tomb" by ragesoss is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

Yale’s Skull and Bones Tomb, the headquarters, is located on the university’s campus in New Haven, CT. It is arguably one of the most well-known, discussed, and detested secret societies.

Yale’s Skull and Bones

Of the many secret societies dotting the Earth, Yale’s Skull and Bones is arguably the most well-known, and most discussed, and with good reason. Founded in 1832, it boasts some very famous and powerful alumni, including former US presidents George W. Bush, as well as his father, George H. W. Bush. Skull and Bones recruits from the male junior population at Yale every spring, on “tap night”. Aspiring members participate in some form of hazing ritual, such as in 2014, with one student dressed in Roman garb only allowed to recite Latin, or two students dressed as Harry Potter and Dobby, begging passerbys for socks.

Despite the fun and games, Skull and Bones has had some serious accusations thrown its way. In 2009, Native Americans tried unsuccessfully to get back the bones of Native hero Geronimo, whose skull and bones are said to have been stolen by George H. W. Bush’s father when he was a member of the society. Some other, less credible, and more outlandish allegations are that Skull and Bones members run the CIA are probably not true.

Most universities have fraternities and sorority houses, but not all boast highly coveted, or highly detested, secret societies.