Senior Aaron Boehmer joined Wingspan as a freshman, becoming sports editor his sophomore year, managing editor his junior year, and finally serving as Editor-in-Chief  his senior year.

Senior Aaron Boehmer joined Wingspan as a freshman, becoming sports editor his sophomore year, managing editor his junior year, and finally serving as Editor-in-Chief his senior year.

Aaron Boehmer

Wingspan has been a constant in my high school life, and because of it I’ve been okay with moving on to the next grade each year and all the changes that occur. 

Going into Journalism 1 freshman year, I knew I wanted to be a part of the program all four years. And now that I’ve done it, it’d be wrong to say that I wanted it to end. But I’m also ready to move on, and this program has helped me prepare for what’s beyond high school — which is a lot. 

These past four years have really taught me how essential storytelling is, and how it is journalism’s duty — that is, the journalists, the newspapers, the networks — to provide such a service. Yet when I look at the industry and the big publications, almost everything in the mainstream media falls short. 

I mostly see big corporations controlling the narrative and using their power of influence to further their agenda, which often is to uphold a false sense of security in the United States. But when I look at those that have been, are currently, and will be on the Wingspan staff, I’m hopeful. 

I’m hopeful for the passion I see and in everyone’s willingness to learn and grow. I’m hopeful that rather than allegiance to a state or an inaccurate, idolized narrative, those that go through Wingspan and come out the other side will have loyalty to the story, the truth, and (as No White Saviors puts it) to the people that are without access, ignored, unheard, and not listened to. I say all of this also as a reminder to myself, as I aim to move through life with these ideals, whether I continue in journalism or not.

And with that, I’d like to thank Mr. Higgins for being an adviser that inspires such a perspective and commitment to the art of storytelling. He put trust in what I believed needed to be told, from the politics of voting and gerrymandering to athletes challenging gender norms and stereotypes, to teachers working to enact local change. Higgins allowed and still allows the writers of Wingspan to find stories on their own without boundaries or restrictions on what can or should be included, and instead of stressing the importance of truth and the need to tell a story fully and unequivocally. 

In addition to working with Higgins these past four years, I’ve had the opportunity to work with passionate and inspiring people like my fellow Editor-in-Chief, Trisha Dasgupta, Managing Editors Ana Cuen, Caroline Caruso, and Shreya Jagan, Sports Editor Remi Williams, WTV Executive Producers Alyssa Murphy and Cooper Ragle, and all of the talented, brilliant, and amazing writers on staff this year, last year, and the years before. 

All in all, thank you! Thank you, Mr. Higgins, for being the best adviser. Thank you, Trisha, for being the best co-Editor-in-Chief. Thank you to all the editors and staff reporters. Thank you, each and every one of you. You are all amazing and I cannot thank you enough.