Aden McClune

Receiving her undergraduate degree from Texas A&M, and her master’s degree from Tarleton State, Avant is teaching floral design, survey of agriculture, equine science, and small animal management.

Brittney Avant

September 22, 2021

The school has many new faces on campus this year, and among them is Brittney Avant, the school’s new agriculture teacher. Receiving her undergraduate degree from Texas A&M, and her master’s degree from Tarleton State, Avant is teaching floral design, survey of agriculture, equine science, and small animal management.

Wingspan sat down with Avant to find out more about herself, and about how she has adjusted to teaching here on campus.

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about teaching?

Avant: “My favorite part about teaching is just making connections with the students, and figuring out what they like to learn about to make class more fun for them.”

Pullquote Photo

I came from a pretty rural community where I was teaching, and the people are different, the processes are different,

— agricultural science teacher Brittney Avant

Wingspan: What made you decide to teach here?

Avant: “Just the culture, the administration here is super supportive and nice, and just the spirit. The hallways look like a Disney movie, and it’s honestly just fantastic.”

Wingspan: Why did you choose to teach agriculture classes?

Avant: “I loved ag when I was in high school, I started showing livestock when I was in sixth grade. I was heavily involved with my FFA chapter when I was in school, and continued to support FFA chapters in the industry throughout college, and I just knew that it was the perfect fit for me.”

Wingspan: What is the most challenging thing about teaching, and specifically teaching agriculture classes?

Avant: “The most challenging thing about teaching is probably the paperwork that we have to do. No one likes paperwork, and we don’t get into teaching to do that. We get into teaching to work with the kids. For teaching ag there is so much more that we do than just the classroom. I know last year I coached ten teams throughout one school year, and I co-managed our swine team for the entire school district, so there is a lot of additional responsibilities.”

Wingspan: How have you adjusted to teaching at a new school?

Avant: “Slowly, it’s very different. I came from a pretty rural community where I was teaching, and the people are different, the processes are different, but I really like it so far.”

My goal is to have kids at state contests next year,

— Avant

Wingspan: What would you like to accomplish this year?

Avant: “This year I just want to increase the amount of students we have participating in FFA, and taking agriculture classes. My goal is to have kids at state contests next year, that was something I was able to accomplish by my second year in my old school district and I really hope I can do that here as well.”

Wingspan: What is a piece of advice you wish you could tell your younger self?

Avant: “Don’t be so strong headed. I’m still a very stubborn person, and I like things a certain way. But just going with the flow is a very crucial skill that you need to develop as soon as you can, because nothing is going to be the end of the world.”