With+a+little+over+a+month+away+from+UIL+sectionals%2C+Orchestra+students+are+attending+practice+before+and+after+school+to+rehearse+for+the+upcoming+music+performance.+Orchestra+Director+Madison+Waggerman+believes+the+practice+time+will+strengthen+her+students+as+musicians.+

Aarya Oswal

With a little over a month away from UIL sectionals, Orchestra students are attending practice before and after school to rehearse for the upcoming music performance. Orchestra Director Madison Waggerman believes the practice time will strengthen her students as musicians.

Madison Waggerman

October 7, 2021

Madison Waggerman, a graduate from Oklahoma State University, is in her 5th year of teaching and is the new assistant orchestra director, and is now working alongside her high school orchestra director, Jullie Blackstock. Waggerman originally wanted to become a dentist, but after getting into All-State band she decided to become an orchestra teacher.

Wingspan: What kind of student were you in high school?

Pullquote Photo

Mrs. B is amazing and she was my high school orchestra director, so it just feels like coming home,

— assistant orchestra director Madison Waggerman

Waggerman: “I definitely was geeky because I was a musician, but I was also a procrastinator but I cared about being studious, so I got things done eventually. But yeah, I was definitely a little geeky.”

Wingspan: What made you decide to be an orchestra teacher?

Waggerman: “I originally thought I was going to become a dentist, so it wasn’t until my senior year in high school when I actually made All-State band that I decided, hey, this will be fun to do. And lots of people told me that they thought it was a career that I should pursue. And I was like, hmmm, okay, maybe but I really was set to go to University of Minnesota to major in math and study Dentistry. It was a last-minute thing and like in February I was like, oh, music, let’s do it.”

Wingspan: Was the transition from your previous job to your current job a difficult one?

Waggerman: “It was a fabulous transition because Mrs. B is amazing and she was my high school orchestra director, so it just feels like coming home.”

Wingspan: So, is that what made you decide to come to campus?

Waggerman: “Absolutely!”

Wingspan: What is it like working with your high school orchestra teacher?

Waggerman: “Amazing. The level of care and love that she shares with everybody is incredible, so even as a colleague I get to experience that too.”

Wingspan: What would you like to accomplish this year?

Waggerman: “Number one goal is making connections and relationships with students and then through that we will make and achieve musical excellence each day, but I don’t have like a, “Ooohh I want to play this hard piece,” I’m just here to make sure that it’s a welcoming environment for everybody.”

Wingspan: What hobbies or interests do you have outside of school?

Number one goal is making connections and relationships with students and then through that we will make and achieve musical excellence each day,

— Madison Waggerman

Waggerman: “I love playing games and board games. I actually collect playing cards everywhere I travel, so I have like 30 plus decks of cards and then I love playing with my mom’s dog, Chip, and hanging out with family.”

Wingspan: If you could give a word of advice to your students, what would it be?

Waggerman: “Never give up on your dreams.”

Wingspan: If you could have any job besides being an orchestra director, what would you want to be?

Waggerman: “I don’t know. Like a personal assistant or something like where you’re just awesome at everything.”