Aurora Spector

Brook Fesco is the new Associate Principal on Campus this school year. She recently moved to Dallas after teaching in another school district for ten years.

Brook Fesco

October 6, 2022

The school’s new associate principal, Brook Fesco has been an educator for 20 years. After finishing college at Drake University, she was a teacher for 10 years with another school district before moving to the Dallas area. She enjoys reading, working out, and playing with her son when she is not working at school. 

Wingspan: How are you liking the school so far? Has it been pretty pretty good?

Fesco: “Yes, I am loving Liberty. I’m loving the change. It seems like we have a lot of good students that are excited to be here, and we have a lot of really great teachers. You guys are very lucky.” 

Wingspan: What was your thought process when you decided to be an educator?

Fesco: “When I got out of college, I was an art major. So I wasn’t an education major. I played sports in college. So when I got out, I was looking for a job. And my old coach called and asked if I wanted to coach, and so then it was what can you teach. So they asked and I was like, I can teach art. So then I went and got an alt certification. So I went back to school and got my teaching certificate and taught and coached for 10 years in one district and as soon as I started teaching and finished my alt certification my mom was also a teacher, and so she encouraged me me she’s like just get your master’s degree now,  you don’t know what you’re going to want do with it but go ahead and get your masters degree now, so I did  and I’ve always been sort of that leader type person and it was a natural move for me to from an art teacher, to I was the department head into an assistant principal role.”

Wingspan: If you had one piece of advice for the future and current students at this school about success in school and life what would you say? 

Fesco: “Enjoy your high school experience, and make sure that you’re, you have the opportunity to explore your interests. Frisco ISD gives you multiple opportunities to explore what you’re interested in and take those opportunities because ultimately, I know a lot of students get focused on the grades. And it’s not about the grades. It’s about the learning. It’s about the experience that you have in highschool, and to make sure you focus on those things.”

I know a lot of students get focused on the grades. And it’s not about the grades. It’s about the learning,

— associate principal Brook Fesco

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about being someone who works here?

Fesco: “My favorite part so far. I really in the mornings when I get to say hi to students, and I get that smile and that hi back. That’s fun. And also I love red and black, so I do enjoy wearing red and black so the colors, they get me a little bit too.”

Wingspan: What are your least favorite parts about being an associate principal?

Fesco: “The hardest part is sometimes having to enforce the rules ,when you know, students make mistakes and students are learning from those mistakes when they make them and sometimes it’s hard to be the person that has to be the one that enforces those rules when the mistakes are made.”

Wingspan: If you could join any class that high school offers, which class sounds most appealing to you?

Fesco: “I actually would probably there would be two that I really want that I didn’t probably take advantage of as much as I should have when I was in school. One was foreign language. I would want to sit in French. I did Spanish but I’d really want to sit in French and learn French, that’s my number one. Number two is an instrument, I wasn’t in band, I didn’t learn any instruments. So I think it would be cool to learn how to play an instrument.”  

Wingspan: What goals do you have for yourself and the school as a whole this semester? 

Fesco: “So the one thing that we’re really focusing on is the change in the gradebook.So that’s a big one that were talking to teachers about and that were making sure that we are assessing the students knowledge so that you guys are able to show what you know on the topic and were not grading you on behaviors. So that’s a big focus of ours this year to make sure that you guys are understanding that it’s more important to know the information  and to really truly try to gain that information through a class versus you know ,making sure that you can do a worksheet.”

Wingspan:  If we were to interview your friends and ask them about you, how do you think they would describe you?

Fesco: “Friendly, probably sometimes pretty goofy, and always up to have and be with people.I am a people person, so I like to be around people. Then likes loud music is another one probably.”

Wingspan:What are people’s reactions when you tell them that you’re an associate principal for a high school? Is it a shocker to some people?

Fesco : “Yep, some people. Some people will say things like whoa, oh goodness, like I don’t know if I could handle that. And then others will say that their perception of a principal is like an older male, and so then they go oh, man I might like to go to the principal’s office if it was a smiling happy person that is inviting you there. But sometimes they think I’m more of a counselor versus an assistant principal. That is the misconception there is.”