Texan by birth, Canadian by sport

With parents from Canada, freshman chases hockey dreams

In his first year of high school, freshman Ethan Beaumont has already been playing hockey for 10 years.

provided by Ethan Beaumont

In his first year of high school, freshman Ethan Beaumont has already been playing hockey for 10 years. "My parents are from Canada so hockey is a big thing up there," Beaumont said. "At the age of 3 months I started going to Dallas Stars hockey games because my parents had season tickets.”

Practice after practice, freshman Ethan Beaumont strives to improve his hockey ability in order to fulfill his need for the game. After playing for most of his life, Beaumont has found success in the game he loves as part of the Frisco varsity silver team.

“I’ve been skating for 12 years, I have been playing hockey for about 10,” Beaumont said. “My parents are from Canada so hockey is a big thing up there and at the age of 3 months I started going to Dallas Stars hockey games because my parents had season tickets.”

At the age of 3 months I started going to Dallas Stars hockey games ”

— freshman Ethan Beaumont

Although he knows the difficulty of continuing a life of hockey, he keeps an open mind about the future in hopes that one day he can reach his goal.

“There are 3 different levels of university hockey: division one, two, and three,” Beaumont said. “Division one is the top of the line it’s as good as you can get in college it’s very difficult to be in a division one school. Not only do you have to have good grades, you also have to be a great hockey player. Yes there is a possibility, if I put my mind to it and if I work hard.”

Other players on the ice see Beaumont’s dedication and willingness to learn in order to be the best player he can possibly be.

“It’s been great, he’s a great player,” teammate Shane Adler. “He moves the puck a lot, pays attention on the ice. Ethan just works hard, does everything coach tells him to do and has been getting better since day one.”

His coach, Ryan Pfeiffer, knows that Beaumont’s only goal is to improve in the sport he loves, and sees his dedication in the time he spends improving his game.

“He’s put a lot of time away from the rink,” Pfeiffer said. “You have to find time and make time away from your regular practices and regular schedule and do the extra stuff. Ethan’s always been willing to and he’s always found time and more importantly never bragged about it too much or complained about it too much so that helped him come a long way.”

Although Beaumont is only a freshman, his coach sees his maturity shine through during practices, games, and even off the rink.

I love the thrill when you put the puck in the net and win games,”

— Freshman Ethan Beaumont

“He’s a good player, he’s a good student, he’s a hard worker,” Pfeiffer said. “He’s come a long way, he’s taken advantage of his maturity, he’s always been a little bit more mature than kids his age. He focuses very well so he’s been able to grow with the game as he has gotten older, so he’s come a long way.”

Beaumont’s dedication has got him where he is today, and although school life and hockey may be hard to juggle, Ethan finds time.

“Weekly I’m on the ice about 22 hours,” Beaumont said. “I do off campus PE, so as soon as I get home I get right to it to homework and studying making sure I sustain good grades in high school.”

Beaumont has found his passion and pursues it any chance he gets.

“I love the sport,” Beaumont said. “And I love the thrill when you put the puck in the net and win games.”

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Texan by birth, Canadian by sport”

1. Shane Adler on January 20th, 2017 8:25 am

Great Article! you did great!

2. Helene A. Beaumont on January 21st, 2017 12:54 pm

Good Job Ethan
    Continued hard work will bring you success for your dream.
    Loads of Love Gram B

• Texan by birth, Canadian by sport

Blogs

Destination Health

• Texan by birth, Canadian by sport

• Texan by birth, Canadian by sport

Defying stereotypes, Captain Marvel delivers

• Texan by birth, Canadian by sport

Sports Showcase

District play winding down as Redhawks host Wakeland

• Texan by birth, Canadian by sport

Thanksgiving inspires class projects

• Texan by birth, Canadian by sport

Heads or Tales: white privilege

• Texan by birth, Canadian by sport

Thespian festival provides professional learning experience

• Texan by birth, Canadian by sport

Our Life As: Actor and actress

• Texan by birth, Canadian by sport

All Voices Matter: not your Barbie doll

• Texan by birth, Canadian by sport

Flash mob performance teases upcoming production

Texan by birth, Canadian by sport