NFL draft could be coming to The Star

Under a proposal to the NFL, The Star, the Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters, along with AT&T Stadium would host the 2018 NFL Draft.

Brian Higgins

The Star could be soon be named as the host of one of the NFL‘s premiere offseason events as there is growing speculation the Cowboys headquarters located in Frisco could be selected as the site of the 2018 NFL draft.

Brian Higgins
The first phase of retail construction at The Star will feature more than a dozen restaurant and retail options.

“We sure want to have our opportunity,” Cowboys’ executive vice president Stephen Jones said in a DallasNews.com article. “We think now is as good as ever in terms of hosting it.”

The bid to host the 2018 draft was presented as a Dallas Cowboys venture.

“Our facilities between AT&T Stadium and The Star, which is the way we submitted our bid, we just think between both places we can host a large, large number of people at AT&T Stadium and can do a big, big deal here at The Star as well,” Jones said in the DallasNews.com article. “Between the Plaza and the 12,000-seat indoor stadium, I think it will be very quaint surrounded with all the football activity, and AT&T speaks for itself.”

Opening in August of 2015 with a Frisco ISD football showcase, there is still ongoing construction at The Star but Jones said the facility would be ready to host the 2018 draft if selected.

Brian Higgins
Currently under construction the Omni Hotel at The Star is scheduled to be opened by the time the 2018 NFL Draft would be held.

“By that time all of our retail will be open and active,” Jones said in the DallasNews.com article. “The Omni Hotel will be open. Our Baylor Scott & White partnership will be almost finished, so really our first phase of development will be up and running. It would be nice to have it when everything is brand new.”

The NFL draft has become a big event with the possibility of it being held in Frisco something junior football player Danny Marroquin says would be good for the city.

“I thinks it an opportunity for Frisco to have that publicity, it’s cool for athletes around Frisco to go to that,” Marroquin said. “If we got to go it would cool because we see those guys on TV and we’d get to see them in person.”