• Summer vacation June 4-August 15

• First day of school is Thursday, August 16

Sincerely Sydney: rushing to grow up

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish offers her perspective on various issues.

Now more than ever, it is not uncommon to hear others talking about how college will be so much better than high school or how they can’t wait to turn eighteen. In this generation, the innocence of childhood seems like a thing of the past.

Educators and child psychologists have said that absentee parents play a big role in the dwindling of childhood. Teens who come home to an empty house at the end of the school day take on the responsibilities of an adult. Another factor is that today, there seems to be a greater emphasis on sports and academic achievement. Many students come to school tired and are having to manage extensive schedules.

Some may not understand what the big deal is if teens are growing up faster, but hurrying teens to grow up can have detrimental effects. Today psychiatric units are are seeing more children with stress related diseases, sleep disorders, suicidal tendencies, depression, and anxiety. Even if teens don’t face these complications, being in a rush to grow up can cause them to miss out on experiences they should be able to look back on as adults.

For some students, high school is miserable. Most teens are dealing with the pressures of balancing friends, family, grades, work. With the combined stress of deciding what they want to do with the rest of their life, it’s not surprising why many can’t wait to leave. However, before they know it, they will be standing with the rest of their classmates in caps and gowns about to go in all different directions. So, appreciate being near friends and getting to see the same faces from elementary school, through middle and high school. Cherish the time left to spend time with parents siblings, and pets, and enjoy the moments still spent as a teenager.

Sincerely,

Sydney

Sydney Gish, Staff Reporter
Sydney Gish is a junior and in her 2nd year of Wingspan. She is a member of FCCLA, Key Club, NAHS, the Raven and Best Buddies. In her free time she is either volunteering for Hope’s Door or the Red Cross and enjoys painting, reading and writing. Contact Sydney: [email protected]