Reusing the products of today

Students use old paper to make new paper

Maddie Owens

Students either blended, cut, or mashed up paper pieces to make it into small enough particles that would then be made into a new piece of paper.

Looking towards the future, AP Environmental Science students spent the first weeks of school reusing the products of today. Students had to design their own paper-making process, and had to bring their own materials for this creative project.

We could minimize waste before it reached landfills

— APES teacher Bryan Beck

“If we would have a little forethought into what we use and things that we need to utilize everyday, we could minimize waste before it reached landfills,” APES teacher Bryan Beck said.

Students had to research different at-home methods of the recycling process and chose one to mirror for their in-class experiment.

Students used either black, white, or a mixture of the two colors to make their paper.
Maddie Owens

“It was the easiest process we found,” junior Dalton Percle said. “The YouTube video we found walked you through step-by-step.”

Students had to supply their own materials and sets of instructions for the recycling process.

“The paper we shredded was in small enough particles to mix in with the water and form a new mixture,” Percle said. “We strained it to make the rectangular dried paper we ended up with. The experiment showed us how complicated the process of recycling paper is.”