Choir singers performing Saturday in Region 24 concert

Choir+students+off+to+UIL+this+weekend.+

Choir students off to UIL this weekend.

Five choir students are performing at Prosper High School in the Region 24 choir concert Saturday at 4 p.m. and will be competing for a place in the TMEA All-State choir that performs in San Antonio in February.  

It’s great for our school and our choir reputation because it says that we’re training good singers,

— choir director Bruce Stevenson

“Some of the students go to a four day long camp in the summer where they sing for eight hours a day and learn the music that way and we had a camp here in the fall at Independence High School so they spent a Saturday there,” choir director Bruce Stevenson said. “I’ve been meeting with the students during the advisory periods and rehearsing with them on their music and then they had a practice CD that they could work on too so they could learn the music that way.”

Advancing was a new experience for junior Jessica Gordon that provides the pathway to a higher goal.

“I’m really excited to advance, this is my first time making it to pre-area and I really hope I do well,” Gordon said. “Advancing to me means that all my hard work during region has paid off, and now my goal is to ultimately make all state choir as I continue to prepare for the next set of auditions.”

Gordon and Rishab Nayar will be singing in the Mixed Choir, with Kia Dunlop, Megan Guidry and Merlyn George singing in the Region Treble Choir.

Advancing to me means that all my hard work during region has paid off,

— junior Jessica Gordon

“It’s always a great thing for a choir to say that they’ve had All-State singers and this is one of the steps in that process, so I’m hoping they can move on and be successful in there because that’s a great honor to be considered one of the best singers in Texas,” Stevenson said. “It’s great for our school and our choir reputation because it says that we’re training good singers who can compete with the Plano high schools and who can sing high levels of music and do well enough to be in that choir.”

For those singing Saturday such as junior Merlyn George, advancing is a good incentive to for the work they have put in.

“I tried to practice twice a week, and Mr. Stevenson helped us out to prepare,” junior Merlyn George said. “I’m glad I made it to All Region because it’s nice for your efforts to be rewarded.”