Contouring skeletons in art

Juniors+Emma+Krilowicz+and+Hannah+Kim+work+on+their+skeleton+drawings.+

Juniors Emma Krilowicz and Hannah Kim work on their skeleton drawings.

Prachurjya Shreya, Staff Reporter

Halloween came late for PreAP Art 2 students as classes are working on a skeleton pastel drawing. Art teacher Pernie Fallon describes why she chose this project for her students.

“The purpose of the skeleton project is to twofold,” Fallon said. “It’s to understand the anatomy of the skeleton and to really look and see the shapes and to see the parts that make up the skeleton and also to study light and value in the way they work together to create form.”

The project allowed for students to showcase their creativity as well.

“My favorite part is getting to add things that typically aren’t on skeletons,” junior Sarah Kleyman said. “I added pants to mine and some people added flowers to theirs.”

Fallon anticipates that students will increase their artistic abilities through the project.

“I hope the students learn that they advanced their drawing skills because the more you look at something, the more you draw it, and the better you get at drawing,” Fallon said. “ Students also get better at what they are looking at.”

With this project came a couple of difficulties. as students had to look at very close details of the skeleton.

“Looking at all the details and adding value to the skeleton was difficult,” Kleyman said. “When you look at something for a long time, you observe the smallest details.”