Holiday music on the cafeteria menu Thursday night

Marisa Uddin

After weeks of practice, many all-state orchestra students on traveled to San Antonio’s Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center on Feb. 14 to compete.

Brelyn Bashrum, Guest Contributor

Violins, cellos, and violas will replace sandwiches, pizza, and fries in the cafeteria Thursday night as orchestra hosts its winter concert at 7:00 p.m. Originally scheduled to be in the auditorium, the concert was moved due to water damage.

“Everybody comes, and one orchestra just performs after the other, so nothing is changing about the concert except the venue,” orchestra director Julie Blackstock said. “We have one piece that Mr. [Johnathon] Jadvani, the percussion director, is going to play with us on his djembe, and then the last two pieces will actually be full orchestra pieces with the wind symphony.”

Their performance will include some holiday and classical tunes like In the Hall of the Mountain King, A Christmas Festival, and Sleigh Ride, as well a unique collaboration.

“Philharmonic and symphonic are combining on a piece, which is really different,” Blackstock said. “We’re combining orchestras in ways that we haven’t done before.”

Forgoing many of the traditional pieces of an orchestra, senior Cameron Spader hopes Thursday’s performance gets people in the holiday mood.

“I think all the Christmas songs that we’re playing are just gonna hype people up for the season,” Spader said. “I think it’ll be fun because it’s going to be a lot more different and laid back.”

In addition to the orchestra music in the cafeteria, there will plenty of stuff more typical of the venue.

“Since it’s in the cafeteria, people are going to bring a lot of baked goods,” junior Ethan Chen said. “So people will be able to just sit and eat and watch people play. There’s going to be a lot of food to look forward to.”